Plan B employees served campus well during recent winter storm

Now that the temperatures are getting warmer, I am hopefully safe in putting winter in our past. This year’s winter storm wreaked havoc across the entire Commonwealth, including right here in Central Kentucky. But thanks to a dedicated group of hard-working UK staff, our campus continued to function as well as anyone could have hoped.

The UK Physical Plant Division did yeoman’s work maintaining our parking garages, clearing our nearly 14,000 parking spaces, and scraping the 57.5 miles of sidewalks and walkways throughout campus.

With icicles forming on the brims of their hats and fierce winds whipping in every direction, our Plan B employees showed their loyalty to this institution. They came in early and stayed late to make sure all of us remained as safe as possible while navigating campus.

Our utility plants workers kept our residence halls and office buildings warm and comfortable, despite the frigid weather.

Our UK Dining, Housing and numerous other employees also served many members of the campus community during the storm. They should be commended for their commitment to bettering the university, something we see from them every day throughout the year.

UK HealthCare employees kept our 24-hour, 365-day facility prepared to serve the medical needs of Kentuckians from throughout the region. From our doctors, nurses and technicians to parking shuttle drivers, food service workers and security officers, UK HealthCare kept serving the people of Kentucky despite the wintry conditions.

It is the efforts and sacrifice of our employees that help make UK such a special place. On behalf of the university community, I applaud all of our staff who work tirelessly to maintain our campus all year long, and I particularly thank you for your dedication to keeping our campus safe and accessible during some tough winter conditions.

Lee T. Todd, Jr.

UK President