So you think you can’t dance: UK grads open downtown dance studio offering cheap classes for all ages, more importantly students

UK graduate Rebecca Fields, left, and sister, Rachel Fields, a communication disorders senior, practice on the bar March 10 at Premiere Dance located on 348 E. Main St. The studio has already started scheduling classes based on demand. The first introductory class will be held Tuesday. Photos by Kelly Wiley | Staff

By Megan Hurt

You might think you can’t dance. You might have been told you have no rhythm and are an embarrassment to your friends and family when you try to dance at parties, weddings and other events. You might be convinced there is no hope and you’re destined to watch from the sidelines.

Rebecca Fields has hope for you.

Fields is the co-owner and instructor of a new dance studio opening downtown, Premiere Dance, and she believes dancing can be for anyone and you can get help at her new studio.

“I think (dance) is open to everyone,” she said. “Get out and socialize. It’s exercise without knowing you’re exercising. You’re meeting new people. You’re getting out of your comfort zone. I think it’s open to men and women of all ages.”

Fields, a UK graduate, co-owns Premiere Dance with another UK graduate Ester Dittert.

Fields and Dittert met through the Young Entrepreneurs Club of Lexington, where they were paired up through the entrepreneurs program Awesome Inc., because of the shared dream of owning a dance studio.

“Awesome Inc. is a bunch of young entrepreneurs who have dreams of starting their own business, and we have gone in together and share the space,” Fields said.

Other businesses use the building during the day as part of Awesome Inc. and Premiere Dance uses the ballroom located in the building during the evening hours, she said.

Premiere Dance is planning on offering as many classes as they can and to a larger demographic than many dance studios, Fields said.

They are currently working on developing lunch hour classes. One would be for stay-at-home moms; giving them a class they can do modern relaxation dances. They also want to offer a lunch hour class for business employees downtown, which allows them to socialize and mingle while learning ballroom and social dances.

Both Fields and Dittert will be instructors, with Dittert specializing in ballroom and Fields specializing in technique, including ballet, jazz, tap and modern.

“We both have training in all the fields, but we enjoy certain dances better,” she said. “We both will be teaching a little of everything, though.”

Because the building is used by other businesses during the day, Premiere Dance will mostly be offering drop-in classes after 5 p.m. on weekdays and some Saturday hours. Private lessons are offered by scheduling.

“Fridays and Saturdays, twice a month, we are offering group social dance classes. Just come in for the group class, you don’t even have to have a partner. We teach both male and female parts. Learn it as a Friday night event,” Fields said.

Social dances include ballroom, swing, salsa, foxtrot and tango, she said.

For a March special on social dances, Premiere Dance is offering 50 percent off the price for an introductory class package. The introductory package includes learning three social dances in two, 25-minute sessions.

Once the introduction classes are complete, either Fields or Dittert will evaluate your learning speed and recommend other classes based on your skill level, Fields said.

“The concept is to be a fun and exciting way to get out and exercise and socialize without paying a lot of money or without having people say, ‘Oh I can’t dance,’ “ Fields said.

Fields said she has been dancing since she was 3 years old and has taught at Kiddy Capers Dance studio and through Lexington’s Parks and Recreation. Opening Premiere Dance has been one of her dreams and she is happy to be able to use her passion for dance to teach others.

“(Dance) is something I’ve enjoyed to take my mind off everything else. It’s a creative expression. It’s always been fun and one of my passions,” she said.

Premiere Dance opened Tuesday and is located on 348 E. Main St. For more information about classes offered and rates, or to contact the instructors, visit the studio’s Web site, (www. premieredancelex.com).

Rebecca Fields helps sister Rachel Fields stretch while performing some warm-up exercises to classical music.