Fraternity loses adviser and creates fund in memory

By Casey Wheeless

Christopher Todd Riley, 33, beloved husband, father co-worker and advisor, died last Friday Feb. 27, according to friends and family, in his home during the late hours of the night or early morning.

Riley was a Grand Praetor in the Sigma Chi fraternity for nine years, he was in charge of overseeing six different Kentucky Sigma Chi chapters including Lambda Lambda at UK.

Sigma Chi President Ryan Smith built a close relationship with Riley through his involvement in UK’s Sigma Chi chapter. According to Smith, Riley was instrumental in the success of Sigma Chi.

Former Sigma Chi President and current Student Government Vice President Grant Mills, also worked closely with Riley in fraternity-related events and built a close relationship outside of the fraternity as well 

“Todd was always a very caring individual,” Mills said. “I like to call him a servant leader because he was always looking out for the best interests of others.” 

According to Mills, Riley also was a mentor for all the fraternity officers, attended recruitment events and came speak to the fraternity frequently.  

Mills and Smith said, in the 2004-2005 school year, Riley took a membership review to the Lambda Lambda Chapter of Sigma Chi at UK, by looking through to really improve the chapter and make things better.  From there the fraternity improved overall, through campus and philanthropy. 

Along with devoting time to Sigma Chi, Riley was an associate brand manager at Valvoline. He graduated from Bryan Station High School and attended Eastern Kentucky University where he earned a degree in marketing. 

There are two different funds for Todd Riley’s memorial, one with Sigma Chi Foundation, and all donations will help benefit Sigma Chi chapters everywhere. Another is the C. Todd Riley Scholarship fund, a fund Sigma Chi has linked to the Riley family to build a scholarship fund for his son’s college tuition.  Memorable contributions may be made to either the C. Todd Riley Scholarship fund or the Sigma Chi Foundation.

He was survived by his parents Robert and Linda Riley; wife Kate Martin Riley; and 9-month-old son, Will Riley. 

A service was held on Tuesday March 3 at Cathedral of Christ the King in his memorial where over 250 Sigma Chi members attended.  

“He had a personal relationship with each of them, he impacted so many people,” Smith said.