Professor to share roots of bourbon in Kentucky

By Colleen McCoy

UK may be a “dry” campus, but this week’s Final Word is all about Kentucky’s favorite liquor.

As a continuation of UK’s Final Word ­­­– a lecture series which asks professors to discuss topics outside of their professional area – Thomas Troland will speak on the history of bourbon.

His discussion, titled “Bourbon: The Past and Present,” will examine the heritage, production and enjoyment of bourbon and its journey to popularity around the world.

“They make horses in lots of places, but almost all bourbon is made in Kentucky,” Troland said. “Bourbon is the best-known product of Kentucky worldwide.”

Troland, interested in bourbon history and production for many years, said he looks forward to sharing his knowledge of the famous liquor with students.

“How can you call yourself a Kentuckian and not know something about bourbon? It’s not all about the Wildcats,” Troland said. “Bourbon is an important part of Kentucky’s heritage.”

Students will leave the lecture with a proud understanding of history behind the drink, said Alan Herbst, director of engaging issues for the Student Activities Board and the organizer of Final Word.

“I think that as students begin to turn 21, they would find it interesting to learn how their delicious beverage became so popular around the world,” Herbst said.

Planning to provide insights on the best ways to “take advantage” of the bourbon heritage to those of legal age, Troland will also give tips on purchasing high-quality bourbons at reasonable prices.

Final Word is a way to show a side of professors that students have never seen before. Herbst said that several students recommended Troland, a physics and astronomy professor, to speak in the lecture series.

“From what students told us, (Troland’s) lectures are very entertaining and educational,” Herbst said. “Students are not bored when they go to class and experience something greater than learning about astronomy.”

True to his academic background, Troland scientifically explains his passion for the heritage of bourbon.

“There is so much more alcohol in space than there is on earth,” Troland said. “So the topic of bourbon is truly astronomical in scope.”

Final Word will be held Thursday at 6 p.m. in the W. T. Young Library Auditorium.