Coal mining industry given bad reputation, actually restores land

Column by Joe White

Bjorn Westergard’s column in the Feb. 3 Kernel is typical of the lack of education and downright misrepresentation by many well-intentioned people. I will attempt to clarify several of his misstatements.

The first statement that “no mainstream voices are calling for the end of mineral extraction entirely,” proves he has not read the Stream Saver legislation (HB 104) closely or he does not fully understand the actual language of the bill. HB 104 doesn’t address mountaintop removal. It addresses coal mining in general — both surface and underground mining in both ends of the state. Why focus only on coal if you are truly interested in impacts on streams? The stream impacts of coal valley fills are no different from highway construction, real estate development, commercial development, other mineral extraction or certain aspects of farming.

Coal slurry is full of “concentrated toxins?” This is absolutely a falsehood. See the 2005 Black Water Task Force Final Report. There were several environmental leaders on the Task Force: Tom FitzGerald, Kentucky Resources Council; Dr. Lindell Ormsbee, Kentucky Water Resources Research Institute and Environmental Quality Commission; and Judy Petersen, Kentucky Waterways Alliance. The report states that the health effects are expected to be no higher than those from typical exposure to soils in Kentucky because of the similarity between the metals in slurry samples and ambient soil and sediment levels. The report also states that any accumulation in tissues of aquatic organisms, including fish, due to this spill would likely be no different from uptake from stream sediments. This report can be found at the Department for Natural Resources Web site.

There is a widespread misconception of the mining industry’s reclamation standards in today’s society. The coal mining industry today is in the business of protecting the environment. This is done by repairing mined lands to a beneficial state. Both federal and state regulations for protecting the environment are some of the world’s strongest implemented laws. Surface operations act in accordance with more than three dozen federal and state environmental laws that are put in effect to protect the land, air and water of the surrounding areas. The federal Surface Mining Control and Reclamation Act of 1977 states that mountaintops may be reclaimed as flat land. Land is frequently more beneficial and functional after mining reclamation. Did you know it’s the landowners who want the level land? Mine reclamation sites are returned to either original contour or left flat for the employment of more productive areas. With the use of these lands, many counties in Kentucky can and are being developed into areas that can help facilitate growth and commerce, growing Kentucky into a better quality state.

Overall, one should not simply regurgitate emotional statements made by anti-coal mining activists. Coal companies are held accountable to save the environment. I challenge you to educate yourself by listening to both sides of this issue as well as researching the many laws regarding mining and the environment.