PATTERSON UPDATE: No further testing needed

Patrick Patterson’s sprained his right ankle during Tuesday night’s 68-65 victory over Florida, and no further testing is necessary, according to a UK Athletics news release.

X-rays taken immediately after the game were negative, and Patterson is listed as day-to-day.

Patterson left the game with 9:06 left in the second half. He rolled his ankle when he landed on Florida’s Kenny Kadji’s foot after attempting to block a shot.

Patterson briefly left the bench area but later returned to support his teammates. He did not re-enter the game. The Cats went on to win on a Jodie Meeks 3-pointer with 4.7 seconds left.

Stay tuned to 50.63.25.108 for updates as they become available.

Lorenzen returns to Lexington

Former UK quarterback Jared Lorenzen has signed a deal to play with the Lexington Horseman of the arenafootball2 League.

Lorenzen had seen time in the NFL, most notably as a backup quarterback with the Super Bowl champion New York Giants in 2007. Last season, he signed with the Indianapolis Colts as a potential backup for Peyton Manning. He was cut during preseason play and took a year off from football.

Lorenzen, a Ft. Thomas, Ky., native, is the all-time leader in pass completions (862), pass attempts (1,154) and net passing yards (10,354) for the Cats. He is also second all-time with 78 touchdown throws.

UK teams up with Verizon Wireless

Verizon Wireless and UK have signed a three-year agreement that will allow Verizon to be the official telecommunications partner of UK’s athletic program.

The agreement permits Verizon to receive advertising on radio, television and the Internet. Verizon is also permitted signage and use of athletic logos, a UK news release said. The wireless carrier will also be given onsite category exclusivity rights at UK athletic events.

The partnership will last until June of 2011.