State group continues work on affordable higher ed

By Austin Schmitt

Making college affordable for all Kentuckians was Gov. Steve Beshear’s goal when he created the Higher Education Work Group in October 2008.

Since the creation of the group, they have discussed issues such as financial aid, transfer students, the total cost of a college education, textbook costs and expansion of on-campus employment opportunities.

The 25-member group consists of business leaders, senior governmental officials and members from both houses of the state legislature with state university presidents advising the group, according to a press release from the governor’s office.

A student advisory board consisting of the student body presidents and other college students from across the state contributes to the group, as well.

Jonathan Miller, a task force member and secretary for the Kentucky Finance and Administration Cabinet, said the discussions have been productive so far, even producing a piece of legislation that is currently being discussed in the legislature.

“It’s been great; full participation by college presidents and a group of students representing colleges across the state,” Miller said. “We’ve even had a piece of legislation from Representative (Carl) Rollins (D-Midway) that cuts back textbook costs. The hard work is to come, though. The report in September is one of the bigger issues.”

Student Government President Tyler Montell serves on the student advisory board and said Miller gave way for the student board to talk about ways students can save money.

“What was really helpful was Secretary Miller started talking about innovative ways students can save money and textbooks kept coming up,” Montell said. “It’s kind of a fixed cost for students every year. The need is always consistent but not the amount of money. What came out of that discussion is the House bill, filed in the House last Tuesday (Feb. 3).”

The textbook bill would require book suppliers to sell textbooks that come with CDs as separate components. It also would require publishers to release changes in editions so professors can determine whether or not to buy the new book.

Miller said the student board has been helpful in contributing to the talks.

“They’ve met about four or five times and are extraordinarily valuable in our discussion.” Miller said.

Improving the transparency of college costs, requiring professors to release their book lists earlier, bundling textbooks and requiring supplements of textbooks to be sold separately are all issues the student board has discussed, Miller said.

The transparency of college costs was one of the main points brought up in the first report issued by the group. Others include:

• Urging Congress and the federal government to simplify the Free Application for Federal Student Aid, or FAFSA, form.
  • Undertaking a review of Kentucky’s state financial aid programs to assure the system meets the financial needs of students, encourages both access and success and promotes retention and completion.
  • Providing more transparency of other college education expenses besides just tuition.
  • Encouraging public colleges and universities to expand on-campus employment opportunities for students for up to 20 hours per week, helping them contribute to the cost of their education.

President Lee Todd, serving as an adviser to the group, supports the findings in the initial report but knows there are more issues to be resolved.

“The Higher Education Work Group commissioned by Beshear has outlined several recommendations which can reduce college expenses and enhance efficiency, while also spotlighting issues that need further study,”

Todd said in an e-mail to the Kernel. “I support the recommendations listed in the initial report, and I am hopeful that the continued efforts of the group will also provide constructive results that can assist our progress on these issues moving forward.”

The next work group meeting has not been determined yet but they plan to meet a dozen times before September, the due date of the second report, Miller said.