Campuswide ban infringes upon rights of tobacco-using population

There is an article in Tuesday’s paper that really concerns me: The article on the smoking ban. The central quote of this article is, “It may seem to some that we are taking away rights, but it is about making a better commonwealth,” said by Ellen Hahn.

Let me first point out that it is not the case that it “seems” like they are taking away rights — they are taking away rights. There is no question whatever about that.

The second part of this quote says, “it is about making a better commonwealth.” I do not like this logic. Our country was founded on individual freedoms and individual rights. Things that are for the good of the whole follow the philosophies of fascism, communism and socialism.

There was another quote that (the ban) will “improve the atmosphere … ” by President Lee Todd. I thoroughly disagree with this sentiment. I feel that such a policy would create an atmosphere of oppression. That would not be an improved atmosphere. Tobacco products are legal in America, but, despite this, this university wants to tell its students, who are legal adults, that they cannot use these legal products. This is not right.

I would like to note at this point I am not a smoker, and I do not use any tobacco products. I understand how disgusting these products can be, and understand why some people do not want to deal with them. That said, I believe tolerance must be practiced in this instance. People who use tobacco products have every right to do so. They have already made such concessions as not smoking inside buildings or within 20 feet of buildings.

The rest of us need to accept that they have the right to use those products, and it is not right for the rest of us or this university to infringe on those rights.

Mark Kahmann

chemical engineering sophomore