Cool Cats hold off surge, split series with Vols

By Bill Nigut

The situation at the Lexington Ice Center on Saturday became eerily similar to the final moments of Friday’s contest in Knoxville, Tenn.

At Tennessee, the UK hockey team blew a 4-3 lead in the closing period, allowing the Volunteers to beat them for the first time in four years.

Back in Lexington on Saturday night, the Cool Cats saw their 4-0 lead dwindle to 4-3 in the final frame of a heated, bloody game yet again. However, this time the Cats were able to hang on for a 5-3 victory over the Volunteers.

Knowing his team’s potential, UK head coach Rob Docherty stayed confident. He said if they played with heart they would be able to continue their season.

“We really have to dig deep. We can’t be playing like that,” Docherty said. “In two weeks we’re going to regionals and then to nationals and it’s win or go home so you can’t afford to have a bad game. We need to get the heart back in this team.”

UK took early control of Saturday’s game when Taylor Vit scored just 41 seconds after the opening faceoff. That was only a sign of what was to come, as three different Cats— freshmen Michael Getz and Nick Field and junior Daniel Ampleford—scored in the second period.

Momentum shifted late in the game and Tennessee answered with three goals of its own, cutting the lead to 4-3 with 6:21 left to play. UK started to have flashbacks not only to the previous night, but numerous games throughout the season where it has blown a lead.

“We’ve had trouble playing with a lead and that’s something we really need to work on,” goalie Matt Bougie said.

The win did not officially clinch a playoff birth, but the team remains confident. Though there is still a realistic possibility that the Cool Cats will not advance to regionals, the team has done all they can do to this point.

“There’s always a chance (that we won’t make the regional tournament). We’ve had a pretty successful second semester. It’s not just a win-loss thing; it’s a scheduling deal. We play top quality teams,” Docherty said.

The Cats will learn their playoff fate in two weeks when the final American Collegiate Hockey Association Division II standings are released, which also comes before the Cats square off against rival Indiana. Despite knowing whether or not the Cats will be a part of postseason play, Docherty said he expects his players to treat Indiana like any other game.

“The rankings are then over,” Docherty said. “We’ll know who is going to regionals and what positions we’ll have and what our first game will be probably be by the time we get here on Friday night. So it’s really just showing them that we’re ready to play hockey and for the pride of winning. We want to win.”