Once-indie music festival takes over Tennessee again

Once a year, a 700-acre farm in Manchester, Tenn., becomes a home to over 80,000 music lovers.

Since 2002, the Bonnaroo Music Festival has played host to hundreds of artists ranging from bluegrass to metal. While it essentially began as an indie festival, in recent years it has broken down those barriers by inviting artists like Metallica, Kanye West and Pearl Jam, along with other artists of various genres.

At midnight on Feb. 3, Bonnaroo released the lineup for their 2009 festival. If the past few years have proven that they are trying to embrace all genres, this June will be no exception.

Among the headliners are Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Nine Inch Nails, Beastie Boys, Snoop Dogg, Ben Harper, TV on the Radio, and country music pioneer Merle Haggard.

Music isn’t the only art form hosted by Bonnaroo. The festival features a comedy tent for aspiring comedians, with Chris Rock performing on the main stage last year. In addition, there are various tents showcasing films ranging from major studio pictures, to world premieres of indie flicks.

When asked what made last year’s Bonnaroo special, Metallica bassist Rob Trujillo answered, “It’s amazing you can take so many different types of bands and styles of music and fuse it into one weekend … It’s a potpourri of style.”

It’s that sense of musical diversity and unity that forges a small city in rural Tennessee annually. This June from the 11th through the 14th, one ticket unlocks the opportunity to support artists you already love, while finding new ones along the way.

For the full Bonnaroo 2009 l­ineup visit www.Bonnaroo.com.

Matt Murray is a journalism sophomore.