Column about Bible was both wrong and misguided

The Bible is crap. Those who follow it are blind. These insults are essentially what one takes away from Nate Kremer’s diatribe of the Bible in a Kernel column Thursday. In response to this, my first question to him is this: Where do you think the values of this country come from  that were standardized by our Founding Fathers?

To suggest that our values stem from anything but faith and religion only exemplifies your apparent ignorance. Religion, and freedom of, was the whole reason this country was established. I thought that was obvious to anyone who took an elementary history class. Where did the whole concept of good and bad, right and wrong come from? From the beginning, mankind has appealed to some kind of direction and guidance to follow. It’s a natural instinct. To say that these sentiments and ideals simply appeared out of nowhere is asinine.

To address another mindless point Kremer made, if you’re going to throw the Bible out because it’s so antiquated and too old to follow, why isn’t the Constitution considered antiquated also?

The last point I want to make is that someone such as Kremer, who thinks he has such an existential knowledge of the Bible when in fact his knowledge is obviously lacking, need not showcase this in an attempt to refute someone like Joseph Green, who does.

Kremer’s insufficient knowledge and understanding of the Bible became obvious when he proceeded to paint his personal understanding and perception as factual. For starters, the Old Testament is largely an account of what took place with so many different characters in those days so long ago. It should not be taken as an advisement to stone, enslave and kill. It must be read with understanding that it is not to be taken literally. To be so literal is to be narrow-minded.

Lastly, the New Testament was written to transcend the Old as guidance. Here, you find acts of love–namely Jesus giving his life for the world–given in action and as testament. It tells us to value and uphold the gift of life.

I’m personally quite sick of people like Kremer taking cheap shots at people that have held fast to good values just because of where this advice came from. Find something else to belittle and demean. Kremer is in no position to criticize and label something billions of people have followed for thousands of years, especially when you try to pass your personal understanding and interpretation off as factual.

Andrew Bake

journalism and political science sophomore