Library staff should focus on more important things

I thought I would take a couple of minutes from my studies to hopelessly protest a high importance e-mail I just received from the friendly folks at the William T. Young Library. Last night some friends and I used a study room, leaving it just the way it was when we entered it, with one inexcusable exception. Apparently a friend shockingly went so far as to carelessly leave a candy wrapper not on the table, not on the floor, but in the trash can.

Sure, I’m writing this letter because of the ridiculous e-mail claiming the candy wrapper to be such a severe high priority offense that the “incident has been recorded in (my) library record,” and “a second violation will result in suspension of the group study room privilege,” but let me attempt a serious argument.

With a growing need to save money, why are useless policies in place? I understand that food and unapproved drinks aren’t allowed, and I would understand a violation if seen eating or leaving the trash on a table. But why are UK students ultimately paying for the library staff to waste time digging through our trash to try and uncover severe crimes of proper disposal?

Not only is it a joke that our staff is required to search the trash cans, but lets assume I leave another candy wrapper in the trashcan and lose the privilege to use the study rooms. It’s required that two students be present to reserve a room, but only one student ID is necessary. Why wouldn’t my study partner use his or her ID instead of me?  And should I just use trashcans that the library staff detectives can’t trace back to me?

Don’t get me wrong, our university is lucky to have such a great library, and our students appreciate the services offered along with the friendly staff always ready to help. But UK students pay enough to attend college. Give us a break and stop wasting our money on paying staff to go through our trash, only to write an e-mail that’s not even taken seriously, threatening consequences that are easily avoidable.

Jacob D. Edwards

accounting/management senior