The Dame to host Obama celebration party

By Polly Ragford

You’ve cast your vote; now knock down a cold one!

The Dame, located on 367 E. Main St., will host a celebration party, “Hip-Hip Hope,” Thursday at 8 p.m. in honor of our new President-elect Barack Obama.

Eric Wilkinson, front man for local band the Dialectics, which is performing at the party, has organized the celebration because he feels this year’s election will determine the future for many young people.

“It is important that young people get involved because we have the most to lose if we continue on the developmental path prescribed by short term corporate profits and unsustainable practices,” Wilkinson said in an e-mail interview. “Young people have the most energy and creativity to re-make a new America that works for all of us.”

Wilkinson said the event is meaningful because it connects Lexington’s hip-hop community with progressive activism and UK organizations.

“This event is part of a larger effort to advance social justice and progressive goals through music and art and community organizing,” Wilkinson said.

Other bands that are performing are Devine Carama, Decypha, KiLeen and Royce.

“We organized this party because we are committed to bringing good music to the Dame that makes people dance and advances progressive politics,” Wilkinson said.

Wilkinson said the party is for all young people who are politically active, whether they are right or left, and a celebration of our first African American president-elect.

“This party is a celebration, festival, and dance party to usher in a new era for America built on hope, social justice, and freedom to be different,” Wilkinson said. “We embrace differences.

“This is a historic moment that reflects a growing diversity in America and a new consciousness that embraces diversity and differences,” Wilkinson said.

With passion for hip-hop, community activism and a celebration of differences, this party is sure to rage with underling political themes perfect for the kids ready for some change.