Your vote can help America move in the right direction

Column by Joe Gallenstein

“Some see things as they are and ask why. I dream things that never were and ask ‘why not?’ ” These words, written by playwright George Bernard Shaw and repeated often by Bobby Kennedy, illuminated what is best about human nature, the innate desire to create the better world that is possible. This election has been at times ugly, but we have the opportunity to change that on Tuesday. We can overcome the ugliness we have seen in this country, especially in our own community, and cast an informed ballot to create the world we know is possible.

We are told when we are younger that often times there is not much of a difference in people running for office, and that often we are picking the lesser of two evils. However, this year we have some races that offer stark contrasts, and many races that feature candidates of impeccable character. I have my opinion on this election, but do not trust just what UK President of College Republicans Jacob Sims and I write. Instead, before you vote tomorrow, utilize the resources to cut through all of the unnecessary information and learn where the candidates really stand.

Two great resources to utilize are kentuckyelection.org and votesmart.org, and each of these nonpartisan Web sites will have candidate issued statements, as well as voting history where possible. As a citizen, to allow our system to work, it is not enough just for us to vote. Instead, to maintain our democracy and quality of leadership, we need to understand who is best for the position and who represents the vision this country needs. By utilizing these Web sites, no matter what issue is the most important to you, you can find which candidate fits that vision.

Please remember, polls are only open from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m., and that this election matters. From state representative to the president of the United States, we have the chance in this election to make a difference in the country we live in. These are the people who determine the funding for schools, or the aid given to students attending college. These are the people who will decide when we enter war, or who will determine what our community’s public priorities are.

This is an election where we can quit dreaming about the way we wish the world was and begin to build the world the way it should be. We should not have to ask “why” any longer; we instead should begin to ask “how.” Tuesday we will be electing leaders to deal with the various crises around us, and together, regardless of who wins, we will be working together to make sure the American dream remains a reality.