SAB gives undecided voters debate before election

By Kristin Stock

Undecided voters have a final opportunity to hear the Campus Democrats and Republicans debate on Tuesday, one week before Election Day.

Student Activities Board can help undecided voters and those who are uneasy about their chosen candidate make a strong decision for the United States’ future.. Tuesday at 7 p.m. at Memorial Hall, the UK College Democrats and College Republicans will have a 2-hour open debate. All issues are fair game.

“This debate will be civil and intellectually based in the content and will include information about what is going on in the world and why it affects us,” said College Republican president Jacob Sims, who will be debating on Tuesday.

President of College Democrats Joe Gallenstein said that issues involving average citizens need to be covered. He said the audience needs to know how they are going to be protected by the government.

The issues at hand will include local and national. Close to home topics are mountain top removal, tax structure of the state and tuition costs. The national issues include the economy, the war, healthcare, energy, social security and welfare.

“The economy is an incredibly complex issue that will take more than a soundbite to state a position on,” Sims said.

“The economy might be the worst it’s been since the Great Depression,” Gallenstein said. “We need to make sure we have a real leader in there that will lead us strong.”

Gallenstein also stressed the issue of healthcare and how in Kentucky alone, 60,000 children do not have healthcare. He said this is one of the issues that need to be looked at.

Sims agrees that healthcare is an important issue, but went on to discuss a long term and short term solution for energy, finishing what we started in Afghanistan and Iraq and limiting governments power.

The topics are not limited to these issues.

The debate will differ from the previous debate, held on Sept. 11, because it will allow more audience participation. Sims said audience participation will create a more diverse set of questions.

“This will allow people to ask the questions that are most important to them,” said Gallenstein, who will also be debating on Tuesday

“This is a chance for students to voice their opinions,” said Alan Herbst, the Student Activities Board director of Engaging Issues. “We want to educate the students about the different parties,” said Alan Herbst.

Most of the campus had chosen a candidate, but Sims thinks there might be 5-7% that are still undecided. Both Gallenstein and Sims believe many more will attend even if they have chosen a candidate.

“Just because they decide on a candidate today doesn’t mean tomorrow they won’t change their minds,” said Sims.

The debate allows the audience to become more informed and learn how to become educated voters said the College Democrat president Gallenstein.

The debate will consist mainly of the national issues that Sen. John McCain and Sen. Barack Obama have discussed.

“On one side, you have a war hero who has served his country with honor, respect, and dignity,” Sims said. “On the other hand, you have a young and intelligent candidate that has inspired a vast array of people to get involved with politics for the first time. I do believe that there are profound differences in ideology that need to be further addressed.”

“We are having an open dialogue,” Gallenstein said. “We have a lot of serious things to talk about.”

The debate will be four members of college republicans against four members of college democrats.

Gallenstein said that the debate will be open and honest. Stephen Voss, associate professor in political science, will moderate the debate.

Before choosing a side, the College Republicans and College Democrats plan to test and/or change your original thoughts of the political parties.

“With our experiences, we are able to provide a unique perspective on the elections,” Sims said. “Also, it is always healthy for someone to come to an event like this to challenge their political philosophies.”

With Election Day approaching, Gallenstein said students should come out and get educated about the candidates stances before going to the polls.

“It is going to be a great time with good ol’ fashion political fun,” Sims said.