Fashion tips for the costume hunt

By Maggie Lanham

It’s that time of the year again. When all fashion sensibilities fly out the window in order to fully celebrate my second favorite holiday of the year — you just can’t beat the Thanksgiving leftovers.

With Halloween only two days away, I thought I’d fill you all in on two stores to find some incredible costumes at some very reasonable prices. Because if you’re like me, you still haven’t figured out what hilarious costume you’re going to wear, and you know you’ve seen far too many sexy kittens as of late.

The first store for Halloween costumes is a recently-opened vintage shop, conveniently located right next to Coffee Times on Regency Road, called Street Scene, which boasts a colorful store full of goodies from the 1950s to the 1970s. If you’re looking to be a fallen beauty queen, never fear! They have a plethora of fabulous dresses, gloves and enough jewelry to surpass every dream of a dead beauty pageant winner, even the dream of that elusive world peace. If you’re thinking about being a hippie or really just have a penchant for zoot suits, then you’re in luck. The most beautiful part of the whole shopping experience is that most of what you purchase you’re going to want to wear again and again in your normal garb, because even those dainty lace gloves always work while walking to class. Plus, they’re doing their part to help the world by offering TOMS shoes — one of the only places in Lexington — that are thrice cute, comfortable and support a good cause.

The second store you’ll want to stop by to grab some last minute Halloween costumes is Pop’s Resale on Leestown Road. Possibly a little better known, but not to a good portion of UK’s campus, Pop’s has got some great costumes available for purchase. They’ve got a multitude of pretty incredible ‘80s dresses for the ladies (or men, we don’t discriminate here) that can be matched with some bright, oftentimes sequined pumps. For men they have old army surplus gear, loads of fun hats and some old grandpa sweaters (is any of this inspiring your costume, yet?). And if you’ve already found your costume and go along with some friends for moral support, feel free to peruse Pop’s infinite selection of records. One way or another, you’re bound to be entertained, if not by the record selection, then by the sight of your friends in, what appears to be, wait…is that what I think it is? Is that a Marge Simpson-eqsue wig? Good lord …

Also, to supplement the amazing costumes you’re obviously going to find at one or both of these stores, I always advocate the Goodwill or Salvation Army to add yet another facet of greatness to your costume or wardrobe. And even if trusty ole Goodwill proves to be fruitless in your last minute desperation for a costume, there is always a fallback, which may not be the most creative, sexiest or funniest, but once in character can be quite special: dress up as a friend. Be a friend who has a distinct style or distinct personality so that on Halloween night, you’re going to have something unique. And the best part of that costume is that it’s totally free. Just raid your friend’s closet/psyche and you’re done!

Halloween is supposed to be a chance to kick your heels up as another person and have a good ole time getting into costume, so whoever you are or whatever you dress up as, make sure to have a safe Halloween so that next year you can top your Robin from the Hood costume. But wait, is that even possible?

Maggie Lanham is a merchandising, apparel and textiles junior.