Bluegrass ‘bad boys’ alter scene, sound with new album

By Polly Radford

Wayward bad boys of bluegrass Old Crow Medicine Show leave the street singing scene behind in favor of the pitch-perfect technology of the recording studio on their third album “Tennessee   Pusher.” While this makes for clearer recording and CD quality, some listeners may think that the recording has taken away from the authenticity and charm of the band.

“Tennessee Pusher” got off to the same start as the two previous albums “O.C.M.C” in 2004 and “Big Iron World” in 2006, with a hillbilly drug-induced anthem called “Alabama High-Test.” Lines like “65 southbound, cruising with a half pound … ” makes me recall the other cocaine addicted songs, such as “Tell It To Me” and “Cocaine Habit” on the previous two records.

Although “Tennessee Pusher” got off to a slow start, the same lyrical genius, haunting harmonies and fancy pickin’ are present in this album. Produced by Don Was, the group has tried to stick to their bluegrass roots yet tried to progress as artists in making more Southern ballads.

“Motel in Memphis” is probably one of the best ballads on the album. The song is about Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s murder at the Lorraine Motel in Memphis, TN. “ … Oh muddy water, rollin’ to Memphis, if you were there you’d swear, it was more than a man who died,” is the chorus, and it will stick with you even after you are finished listening.

Willie Watson, Ketch Secor, Critter Fuqua, Kevin Hayes, Morgan Jahning and Gill Landry have put out another great album surely to please fans of the band.