Cobb excels despite constant moves

Blair Thomas

Blair Thomas

Most freshmen aren’t expected to make a sudden impact at one position their first year. Almost zero freshmen are expected to be a jack-of-all-trades like the one Randall Cobb is developing into.

Cobb has seen time at wide receiver, quarterback and punt returner and is expected to be relied on even more with the loss of senior wide receiver Dicky Lyons Jr. for the rest of the season.

Despite being only a freshman, the Cats believe Cobb has the potential to be a special player.

“It’s hard to come in as a freshman and make an immediate impact,” senior cornerback David Jones said. “I see Cobb’s performance getting better with each and every game.”

Jones, who has seen time at receiver for UK before, said he talked with Cobb last week about stepping in and becoming a main part of the offense. He warned Cobb that teams would be focusing more on Cobb after his performance in the South Carolina game, where he caught eight passes for 53 yards.

“Cobb told me he has never been more sore before in his life,” Jones said. “All I could think to say to him was welcome to the SEC.”

Saturday was Cobb’s first game back since suffering an ankle sprain on Sept. 13 against Middle Tennessee State. UK head coach Rich Brooks said Cobb is sore because of another ankle sprain suffered against South Carolina in addition to a bruised left hand. Because of Cobb’s increasing role, teams are targeting the freshman, leading to more injuries, Brooks said.

Although Cobb showed some of his explosiveness as a receiver against South Carolina, he could still be used at quarterback to provide a struggling UK offense with a much-needed spark.

“He’s a great player and teams are really going to key on him,” junior running back Alfonso Smith said. “I really like Cobb at quarterback though, so hopefully we can get him in some packages back there.”

Smith said he also had a conversation with Cobb about the pressure of playing in the Southeastern Conference. He told Cobb and the other freshmen to just go out on the field and play.

“When it comes time to make the plays, you have to make them,” Smith said. “That’s why you are here.”

While the loss of Lyons is potentially devastating, junior linebacker Micah Johnson said the younger guys have to step up and be ready to fill the void left by him.

“(Lyons is) not the only receiver on scholarship,” Johnson said. “Someone else is going to have to step up too.”

Cobb has shown he can fill in at any spot this year. He has 11 receptions for 84 yards as a receiver and is 7-of-12 for 91 yards and a touchdown at quarterback. The Alcoa, Tenn., native has also proven to be a weapon on the ground, carrying 11 times for 67 yards and two touchdowns.

“We’re asking this guy to play two positions and he’s a freshman,” Brooks said. “He’s doing it really well too. He’s a special player, and everyone has got to remember he’s just a freshman.”

UK-Florida picked up by Raycom

The Cats’ Oct. 25 visit to The Swamp in Gainesville, Fla. will be shown as Raycom’s Game of the Week. Kickoff is at 12:30 p.m.

It is the second time this season the Cats have been televised on Raycom.

Jeffries, Hines unavailable for Arkansas

Offensive linemen Justin Jeffries and Stuart Hines will both be out for the game against Arkansas, Brooks said at his weekly news conference Monday. However, Brooks thinks both can be ready to return to practice as early as next week.

Johnson is questionable for the game after suffering a quad bruise against South Carolina.

Junior linebacker Michael Schwindel, junior tight end Maurice Grinter and junior wide receiver DeMoreo Ford are also listed as questionable.