Tough non-conference slate prepares Cats for SEC

By Alex Risen

Before one ball was kicked, UK head coach Warren Lipka explained the reasoning behind scheduling such a tough non-conference slate—to get ready for Southeastern Conference play.

After one weekend of conference play, Lipka must feel pretty good about his scheduling strategy.

The UK women’s soccer team is tied for second in the Southeastern Conference after getting four points in conference play last weekend. The Cats tied the Auburn Tigers 0-0, earning them one point, before beating Alabama 2-0, bringing in another three points for the win.

“Getting back home was huge for us after being gone for so long,” Lipka said. “It’s a great feeling to be home for the first two weeks of conference play. I think the non-conference schedule helped us mature quickly. I mean there isn’t a team style we haven’t seen yet and that really helps out now.”

The Cats non-conference stretch pitted them against top 10 teams every week, helping the young team come together early.

Defender Kate Hughes is one of only four seniors on the roster. Hughes saw the early tough opponents as a bonding experience for the team as a whole and a way for the younger players, like the 11 freshmen, to get acclimated to the best competition in collegiate soccer.

“The freshmen had to adjust quickly,” Hughes said. “It was a really hard non-conference schedule for them but it definitely built their confidence and the team’s confidence to play that caliber of competition.”

Hughes is also part of the three game shutout streak the Cats’ have going. Sophomore goalie Sydney Hiance has pitched three straight goose eggs to opposing teams, but says it’s not just her.

“My defense is great,” Hiance said. “The big turning point was against Cleveland State. It showed we could put up goals and keep the other team from scoring. We just have to keep that going like we did last weekend.”

But despite the turnaround toward the end of non-conference play, the Cats know there is always room for improvement. In their last four games, the Cats have two wins and two ties, but would love nothing more than to get a pair of wins at home.

“It’s title time,” sophomore forward Giuleana Lopez said. “We’re all fighting for an SEC championship and it gets pretty physical.”

“Our tough non-conference schedule really toughened us up and helped us learn to make better decisions during conference play,” Lopez said.

Now that SEC play is underway, every game counts. Lipka knows that getting points early and at home is the key to getting to Orange Beach, Ala. for the SEC tournament.

“It was huge for us to get four points opening weekend,” Lipka said. “It built our confidence and the win on Sunday was even bigger. Usually, after playing Friday night, you come out sloppy and technically off, but this time we went out there and battled to get the win.”

Lipka also credits his assistant coach Tiffany Groene to the Cats success. Groene has worked with goalie Sydney Hiance before and after practices on saving high balls. Hiance said she has trouble judging the shots and that Groene has really helped her time her jump to get the save.

The Cats’ confidence is rising and with two big games this weekend against a physical South Carolina team and a fast Florida squad. They have an opportunity to move into first place in the SEC.

“Getting points early and especially at home is huge,” Hiance said. “We’re already one-third of the way to our total points from last year so we’re on the right track.”