Kernel hypocritical with placement of sexist ads

I read the Kernel everyday in order to get a campus-level view of the events affecting my community. Although I don’t always agree with the opinions in the articles and editorials, I appreciate them and know they contribute to the overall campus dialogue. I can always pick up the Kernel and learn something that I did not know the day before, whether I agree with it or not.

On Oct. 1, 2008, I learned something that I vehemently disagree with: the Kernel lives by a double standard.

The cover story on that day addressed issues of female sexuality. The article encouraged females to be comfortable with their sexuality and to break the negative bonds that society associates with it. So far, so good. Although I might not have agreed with its presentation, the article promoted a legitimate topic of concern on college campuses.

The double standard in the Kernel arose a few pages later when I saw an advertisement for Déjà Vu, a strip club located on New Circle Road. The front page fought to dismiss stereotypes actively promoted by the middle of the paper. I was dismayed to learn that a progressive paper like the Kernel would debase itself by accepting money from and promoting the message of sexual inequality promulgated by the adult entertainment industry.

For this reason, I am calling upon the Kernel to immediately stop accepting advertising dollars from any and all adult entertainment venues. The Kernel cannot keep the front door open to important social issues while allowing money to come in the back door that undercuts its messages.

David Riley

UK Student Government Senator