Look to common morality when selecting leadership positions

Daily, a large number of medical professionals turn to a systematic framework called common morality through which they may reach the most impartial and rational decisions possible in the most inconceivable moral dilemmas concerning life and death, organ donations and ethical care.

Imagine considering such principles as not causing death, pain, disability, deprivation of freedom or pleasure when making decisions that will be looked upon as precedent for future situations. Common morality also calls medical professionals not to deceive, keep their promise, not to cheat, obey the law and do their duty. Many will also have to ask themselves, “What is the greatest good for the greatest number of people?”

These moral dilemmas concern life and death matters for many patients seeking health care. So, it stands to reason that we expect our medical professionals to be bound by unparalleled ethical standards.

Therefore, I’m forced then to ask the question, “Why are we not selecting our elected officials based on their capability to make decisions in a similar fashion?”

After all, legislation and policy affects each one of us on a moment-by-moment basis.

Whether considering your choice for president or a city council member, shouldn’t you ponder the principles of common morality? How much harm will you be responsible for if you elect a party that wants to continue ineffective policies such as “No Child Left Behind,” “Don’t Ask Don’t Tell,” “Defense of Marriage Act,” “Abstinence-Only Sex Education,” banning stem cell research, and restricting the rights of gay men and women to those of second class citizens?

You have to ask yourself who in this election will use impartial, rational and objective judgment when making a single decision affecting many millions of people throughout the world. You must consider how personal values, dogma and narrow mindedness of an American president will impact our political culture, the future of the Supreme Court and our responsibility as an ethical role model for the world.

Help me send a message to John McCain that it is time for rational and impartial judgment and the role of being a “maverick” was best suited for John Wayne.

Troy Johnson

social work master’s student