Library hours only inconvenient for those who make it that way

The whining needs to stop. In the last several days, everyone’s been complaining about the library’s new hours. I would like to take the time to point out that there are a myriad of other universities and colleges around the nation that don’t have a 24-hour library. Yet somehow, those students don’t seem to have a problem completing their work. Shocking.

In a Kernel editorial on Sept. 12, the Kernel editors pointed out that “having a 24-hour library only during midterms and finals week only fosters procrastination.” So having a 24-hour library during crucial exam weeks fosters procrastination, but keeping the library open during the hours of 2 a.m. and 7 a.m. doesn’t? I think it’s safe to say that the majority of the students who use the library between the hours of 2 a.m. and 7 a.m. are there because they procrastinated.

Students need to remember that this is a temporary change the university is undergoing, and one that has been made to cut costs. So if you really want to keep the library open while most of the campus is sleeping (or more likely, out drinking), I suggest you stop whining and start offering alternative ways to cut costs so the library can stay open 24 hours a day, seven days a week. So until then, sayonara, slackers.

Katie Murrell

communications junior